Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Vale, Vail, or Veil?

Once I finally figured out how to spell "veil" correctly, I stumbled across MANY interesting things (aside from the fact that as a 2nd grade teacher, YES, I should know how to spell 'veil').

Interesting fact number 1: There are some flippin' ugly veils out there. I know, I know - to each their own, but honestly, someone is going to put that on their head? Do I really need to worry about tripping over my veil because it's SO long? I think not.  Pretty pictures, though...

Interesting fact number 2: You can attach anything you want to your veil, aside from the obvious feather/flower attachee one can find.    People have them monogrammed, too!


Interesting  fact number 3:  There are many options, almost as many options as there are opinions.



I have 2 needs from a veil:
1) It can actually veil me so I can be unveiled, to follow a Jewish tradition.*
2) To make me pretty/accessorize me.**

*Back to the Jewish tradition.  It's called Bedeken, which in Yiddish means "to cover up" and likens to the English cognate "bedeck" which means "to cover with decorations."  According to a valuable site, Jewish-History,  "The groom brings down the veil over the bride's face, reminiscent of Rebeccah's covering her face with her veil upon seeing Isaac before marriage. The veiling impresses upon the Kallah her duty to live up to Jewish ideals of modesty and reminds others that in her status as a married woman she will be absolutely unapproachable by other men. The covering of the face symbolizes the modesty, dignity and chastity which characterizes the virtue of Jewish womanhood."
The Jewish Chronicle notes "There is a powerful romantic charge at the Bedecken; the groom is danced into the room where the bride sits surrounded by friends and family."
Sitting all prettied up in a room and having people come dancing in to see me sounds awesome, by the way.

**I have no need for something over my face during the ceremony.  You can see the obvious conflict here.
I luuuurve birdcage veils.  Their simplicity warrants sophistication and class.  Seeing one makes me want to listen to jazz music and lounge in a speak easy.  While I know those have no connection to a wedding, it does make me feel all swanky and glamorous! 

Chasing Rainbows, Kissing Frogs found many pictures, making a great post showing off birdcage veils.

I think I might have a solution to this, which involves "something borrowed" and a costume change, of sorts.  Oh yes, this will be grand!

6 comments:

  1. You need a veil with a blusher to cover you. :)

    One word of advice. If you plan on wearing your veil during the reception (I did) don't wear a bracelet. I got my bracelet caught on my veil no less than 7 million times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all the bird cage veil is absolutely stunning and I am super envious that you get to wear one (if you go that route). Perhaps one day I might find myself in one...

    Secondly - uhh,... giant long trip-length veil? I mean,... if that's what you're into,.. but um,.. wow.

    Third - LOVE the Jewish traditions getting tied in!! I was so waiting for this part!! YAYYYY to symbolism and things that have deeper meaning!

    And finally - have you ever been to Vail? Lovely town... beautiful mountain view. Just sayin'. :)

    xoxox!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Crown'd Vic, I love interested fact number 2, it made me laugh and i guess saves a bit of cupboard space too. Thanks for the blog mention. I can't wait to see which veil you choose.
    Best wishes, Frog Princess xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. @RM: yeah yeah yeah I KNOW I need a blusher. It might just be for the Bedecken, tho - not at the ceremony at all :)

    @Lucky: more jewish traditions to come!

    @FP: Thanks for writing such a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of a birdcage veil.
    Can't wait to see what you pick!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wanted to wear a birdcage, but after purchasing my dress, I decided a mantilla style, cathedral length ivory lace( and blusher) would suit it better : )
    I will then remove it for the reception, it's party time!

    Excited to see what you pick!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails