Sunday, June 26, 2011

Wedding Wisdom

I have to admit, I first began following Jess because of her last name: Beer.  I continued to follow her wedding planning journey and now she's a Mrs!  Go check her out!

Hi everyone!

I’m Jess, and I write a blog over at Being Mrs. Beer (yes, that’s really our last name!).  I’m so excited to be guest posting for Vicki today while she’s off getting hitched and heading on her honeymoon!  As a recent newlywed, I’m so happy for her and know how great (and sometimes challenging!) the first few months of marriage can be.



Now, I’m not going to pretend that after only 3 months that I know everything about marriage.  Clearly, we are new at this and still working on figuring each other and our marriage out.  Everyone says it, but marriage really is work.  Chris and I have to work at our marriage every day.  Is it easy?  Not always.  Is it worth it?  Always.

Sometimes we get mad at each other.  Sometimes I just don’t want to be around him.  Sometimes he doesn’t want to be around me.  The key to getting past this, as I learned from my parents (married 31 years June 1), is to talk about it afterwards.  Like most couples, my parents fought when I was a kid, but there was never any doubt that they loved each other.  It’s important to remember why you fell in love with your husband or wife and the promises you made to each other on your wedding day.

So here’s my best advice for Vicki and Mike as they embark on the journey we call marriage:

1.  Put your marriage first…most of the time.  Understand that each of you will need time away sometimes, whether its alone or with your friends.

2.  Compromise and LISTEN to each other.  We are still working on this one every day.

3.  Respect each other, and never be afraid to say “I’m sorry.”  Chris and I usually realize immediately if we’ve hurt the other’s feelings, and the apologies flow soon after.

4.  Always remember why you fell in love in the first place.

5.  Honor your promises to each other, from your those on your wedding day to the little ones like promising to take the trash out.

That’s all I’ve got!  Come check out my blog too – I’m in the midst of my wedding recaps, and you never know what craziness will happen next in my life (like my in-laws staying with us next month…eep!).  Best wishes to the bride and good luck to the groom!

1 comment:

  1. Great tips! Thanks for sharing!! :) Off to check out her recaps!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails